I was one of those lucky freaks of nature to have very few issues concerning my skin during my teenage years. Sure I had mild acne here and there, but nothing that required frequent visits to the dermatologist or made me self conscious. Fast forward into my late twenties and boom! Cystic acne, hyperpigmentation, new skin sensitivities, and scarring. Getting older really is one disappointment after another.
So of course I start trying everything I can get my hands on (and is within my budget) to try and treat my concerns. Some kinda worked, some made it worse, and some were just as good as splashing water on my face. But now I’m here and getting compliments on my skin. People asking my if I’m pregnant because I’m glowing *extreme side eye to y’all* and so on. So I’m here to tell you what I’ve been doing. You’ll also be glad to know it’s not a 10-step Korean skin care routine lol.
- Wash face with Nubian Heritage African Black Soap
- Use Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant in place of a toner
- (Now here’s where we get fancy) Mix 2 pumps of COSRX Oil-Free Ultra Moisturizing Lotion with 2 drops of KLAIRS Freshly Juiced Vitamins C Serum
- Finish of with a little sunscreen with a dab of Algenist Sublime Defense Anti-Aging Blurring Moisturizer SPF 30
- BAM! Done for the AM
- If I wore makeup that day I will remove it using Shea Moisture African Black Soap Clarifying Cleansing Facial Wipes
- Wash my face with either the Nubian Heritage African Black Soap or the Nubian Heritage Coconut and Papaya Soap, depending on whether my skin feels drier than usual or not.
- Tone my skin using Dickinson’s Original Witch Hazel Pore Perfecting Toner
- Treat with Makeup Artist’s Choice Mandelic Acid Serum
- Work out these fine lines and wrinkles with RoC Deep Wrinkle Night Cream
- And if my skin is particularly thirsty even after the night cream I’ll moisturize with Shea Moisture 100% Pure Argan Oil
That’s my skin care routine! I do incorporate masks in every now and then, but that’s another post for another day.